Associate Professor and Principal Investigator
Aerospace Engineering & Physics
425 H, H.R. Bright Building
Department of Aerospace Engineering
College Station, Texas 77843
Dr. Guzmán is an Associate Professor and experimental physicist with the departments of Aerospace Engineering and Physics & Astronomy at Texas A&M University (TAMU). His research focuses on the development of novel optomechanical inertial sensors, precision laser interferometry, and optical technologies for ground and space applications in gravitational-wave astrophysics, geosciences, navigation, and precision metrology. He is the PI of the TAMU groups within the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC) and the LISA Consortium. Upon receiving his Ph.D. in Physics from the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics in Hannover, Germany, he was awarded a NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP) fellowship at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center with the Gravitational Astrophysics Laboratory. Later, he became a Senior Research Associate at the Joint Quantum Institute (NIST and University of Maryland) and Research Group Leader at the German Space Agency (DLR) in collaboration with the University of Bremen.
Google Scholar Profile
- Gravitational Wave Observatories: LIGO and LISA
- Optomechanical inertial sensing technologies: accelerometry, force sensing and navigation
- Optical metrology, precision measurements, and space technologies
- Optical, optomechanical and atom-interferometric sensing systems for applications in geophysics: gravimetry, gravity gradiometry and seismometry
- Research Physicist, German Aerospace Center (DLR), Bremen, Germany, 2016-2018
- Senior Research Associate, NIST and Joint Quantum Institute (UMD), 2012-2016
- LISA Pathfinder Optical Scientist, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics, Hannover, Germany, 2011-2012
- NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP) Fellow, Goddard Space Flight Center, 2009-2011
- Ph.D. in Physics, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics & Leibniz Universität Hannover, 2009
- M.S. in Engineering Physics, Carl-von-Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, 2005
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Costa Rica, 2001
PATENTS & APPLICATIONS
- F. Guzmán et al, Optomechanical inertial reference for atom interferometers, UA 19-126, Feb. 15, 2019.
- F. Guzmán et al, Beschleunigungsmesssystem (acceleration measurement system), German Patent No. 102018200052.2, Jan 3, 2018.
- F. Guzmán et al, Optomechanical laser for dynamic measurement, Pub. No. US 2017/0373462 A1, Pub. Date Dec. 28, 2017.
- F. Guzmán et al, Optomechanical gravimeter, Pub. No. US 2017/0371065 A1, Pub. Date Dec. 28, 2017.
- G.A. Shaw, F. Guzmán et al, Optomechanical reference, NIST invention docket 17-016US1, Dec. 21, 2017.